On Saturday, February 13, 2021, we were notified by the Region of Peel of a situation involving residents of one of the high-rises under CityTowers management, and a variant of concern (VOC) in Mississauga. Our Management Team, Staff, and Board of Directors quickly gathered with health officials from the Region of Peel to mitigate the emerging situation.
We were advised that the B1.351 VOC of COVID-19 has been identified in five (5) cases within our building. It was recommended, as a precautionary measure, that all residents and staff get tested, even if they did not have symptoms.
As a result, voluntary door-to-door testing for over 400 units (approximately 1,800 residents) was conducted on Monday, February 15, 2021, in collaboration with the Region of Peel, Ontario Health, Paragon Security, and CityTowers Property Management Inc. This process is currently underway.
The board of directors and management requested door-to-door testing as it is more convenient and private for our community, and it minimizes transmission through the aggregation of crowds within our building.
Management and the Board of Directors are communicating with Region of Peel health officials on a daily basis. Peel Public Health was on-site at the building in question on Sunday, February 14, 2021, for a comprehensive building inspection, and it was noted that our building has already taken extreme measures to ensure the health and safety of our residents and staff.
Since March 2020, as directed by the board, management implemented the following security protocols and operational changes to ensure the health and safety of our residents and staff, and we continue to follow the recommendations of Peel Public Health.
Some of these changes include, but are not limited to:
▪ Closure of communal spaces (amenities, gym, pool, media room, etc.)
▪ Installation of protective glass around the common areas of the building
▪ Limitation of building visitors and contractors
▪ Implementation of parcel delivery lockers, and prohibited delivery personnel access to residential areas
▪ Implementation of contact-less entry and exit access points
▪ Distribution and availability of masks and sanitization stations around the building
▪ Enforcement of all public health recommendations, including the wearing of masks while on our premises
▪ Increase of cleaning and sanitization of common areas of the building
▪ Re-configuration of our elevator system to limit occupancy
▪ Penalization of contractors who violate the health and safety protocols of our building
We are always open to implementing further measures to support the health and safety of our residents and staff. We are working closely with the Region of Peel to implement additional recommended safety precautions, such as the installation of additional hand sanitizer stations on every floor, and floor markings to enforce social distancing.
The privacy of our residents is paramount. We remain committed to doing the right thing by the people that we are serving in our community to ensure that condominium communities under CityTowers management continue to be the best place to live in Mississauga.